Mormonism - Articles Of Faith
THE ARTICLES OF FAITH FROM
THE OFFICIAL MORMON WEBSITE
(with responses from a biblical perspective)
- Article 1 - We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
- Response - It's what you believe about the Godhead that counts. All three are part of the Godhead and therefore all three are God.
- Article 2 - We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
- Response - This is a fact, but do you believe in eternal damnation in a Lake of Fire? Revelation 20:10-15
- Article 3 - We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
- Response - Here is a works salvation. If obedience to laws and ordinances could save us then Christ died in vain. It is Jesus atonement alone that saves sinners from the wrath of God unto salvation and eternal life.
- Article 4 - We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith
- in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Response - This cannot be proven from the scriptures. Ephesians 2:8-9 among other scriptures prove that there is nothing we can add to what Christ did to save us. Further baptism in water cannot procure salvation. It is an ordinance and testimony of salvation.
- It is Christ alone who can deliver us from sin plus nobody and nothing.
- Article 5 - We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying
- on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. A man must be called by God alone to minister. Abraham, Elijah, Samuel, Daniel, and many others were mightily used of God and called by God alone.
- They didn't need a church or a committee to do what God called them to do, and they weren't bogged down by ordinances like churches are today.
- Response - Your statement is contradictory. First you say that a man must be called of God, by prophecy and the laying on of hands by those in authority. Then you say a man must be called by God alone. You say they didn't need a church or committee but yet your have a church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). Which is it? They don't need a church or they do? Further, Noah was called by God but he never had the laying on of hands. Abraham never had that either. None of them you named had it. They were called by the Lord and sent by him alone.
- Article 6 - We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
- Response - This was not an organization but a list of very specific callings given to certain men in the body of Christ. While they were part of the church and different member's had different spiritual gifts, they didn't comprise an organization. It can't be proven that every church had all these gifts in operation at the same time.
- Article 7 - We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
- Response - What do you believe about them? Are they for this current age? How are
- they to be used? How do you receive them? How many times have you seen instant healing in your services or in your individual homes? What scriptures from the Bible can
- you give to prove there are continuing revelations?
- Article 8 -We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly;
- we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
- Response - Just whose translation do you believe to be correct, since many great scholars studied and translated the scriptures who surpassed Joseph Smith both in education and
- in the knowledge of biblical languages? Why do you trust the word of an uneducated boy who made unproven claims about meeting Christ face to face over the combined scholarly studies of many very wise and educated men of God?
- Further, on what or whose authority do you believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God? Are you willing to trust Joseph Smith whose history is far from that of a godly leader? Have you even ever done any objective research on his life? Did you know what
- his neighbors had to say about him and his father? Does the possibility of condemning truth about your revered founder frighten you, and do your elders cause you to fear checking into his past through fear tactics? Do you know anything about the Kinderhook Plates and how they were an embarrassment when it was found out they were fraudulent and yet Joseph Smith interpreted them? What would happen to you if you found there was strong evidence that contradicts Mormonism and you brought it before the elders of your assembly?
- Article 9 - We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and
- we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the
- Kingdom of God.
- Response - True Christians reject any continuing revelation of the type you claim to accept; namely the Book of Mormon, the Articles of Faith and the Pearl of Great Price. They believe that the Bible is the final authority on all matters of faith and practice, and it is to be obeyed. The only book that will be eternal is the Bible, as God's Word, the Bible, says.
- Article 10 - We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
- Response -Ten tribes? There are twelve mentioned in the book of Exodus and Revelation. Where do you get ten? You cannot prove through scripture that the New Jerusalem will be built on the American continent any more than you can prove that Jesus came to America. This is what is known as extra-biblical teaching and has nothing to do with the truth as presented in the book of Revelation. Christ's reign has been assured, and the new earth (not a renewed old earth) will be better than the earth in the first chapter of Genesis because it will have New Jerusalem and the presence of God for all people to see who have loved and served him in this life.
- Article 11 - We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
- Response - No argument here provided that all men are willing to deal with the consequences of their beliefs. God will not force his gift of salvation on anyone. He gave mankind "free will" to decide whether to serve him or to follow after other gods.
- Article 12 - We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
Response - Obedience to these leaders is right, BUT when their laws conflict with the commandments of God, we must obey God rather than men. A recent and powerful example of this was the decision to make homosexual and lesbian marriage national law. Since God calls these sexual behaviors abominable, it is the responsibility of all who are truly Christian to refuse to be subject to this vile breach of God's laws and commands pertaining to sexual behavior. Additionally it is the responsibility of Christian leaders to let the government know that if they intend to openly oppose God they will pay the price for their insolence.
Article 13 - We believe in being honest, true,chaste, benevolent, virtuous,and in doing
good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul. We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Response - Obeying God is the best life anyone can live. That obedience is not in being in bondage to law or performing acts that are believed to be pleasing to God, as the Mormons teach through their system of works, but it's service from a truly thankful heart which, in the sight of God, is of great price!
For a truly comprehensive study click the link below and when you
are on the site examine the 1000+ reasons to leave the Mormon church.